During the holidays there are a lot more people in our neighbourhood, and a there’s a lot more on the social calendar. Here are some key tips to stay safe while having fun on holiday:
- Don’t let anyone you don’t know into the house, even if they say they are from somewhere “official”.
- Ask telephone callers to ring back later, but never tell unknown callers that you are alone at home.
- If you’re popping out, be sure that your parents know where you are and how to contact you.
- Make a plan to go out with other friends and also return home with them whenever possible.
- If you do go out alone, arrange transport to and from your destination with a relative, friend or taxi, and confirm the arrangement for your return journey before you set off.
- Don’t accept the offer of a lift from someone you have just met.
- Wherever you are be aware of how to make an emergency call and the quickest way out.
- It helps to keep a list of emergency numbers in case of problems (put them in your phone contacts – there’s no time to look them up on a website in a real emergency!).
- Always keep a little money with you just in case.
And remember: Look up, look around, look out!