SAPS MEDIA RELEASE 10 MARCH 2017
In our ongoing endeavours to eradicate the scourges of crime in our communities, Muizenberg SAPS have, for the month of March thus far, arrested a total of 50 persons for offences varying from shoplifting to rape.
The arrests include warrants of arrest (2), house robbery (1), theft (4), shoplifting (5), possession of narcotics (10), assault (3), domestic violence (2), selling liquor without a license (1), malicious injury to property (1), car-jacking (1), trespassing (12), drunken driving (3), housebreaking (1), rape (1) and three persons were arrested for dealing in narcotics.
Muizenberg police have also noted with concern the ongoing street robberies in the Muizenberg precinct, especially where dangerous weapons e.g. screw drivers and knives, are used.
With this in mind, we have increased our visibility and patrols and would like to request the community to be more vigilant and adhere to basic guidelines when walking on the street, these include:
- Never walk alone, always try to walk in a group
- When walking, DO NOT talk on your cell phone, DO NOT display jewellery and valuables.
- Be observant and take note of your surroundings
- Be wary of loitering strangers
- Attempt to walk in well-lit places after dark and avoid open fields/secluded areas
- When traveling on a train, be especially wary when the train is departing and guard your valuables
- Be especially vigilant during peak times
- Keep emergency numbers handy and note descriptions of suspicious persons when alerting the police
- Trust your instinct and avoid talking to strangers